Custard is a classic meal enjoyed by many, and making it from scratch can be a time-consuming process. However, with custard powder, you can make delicious creamy custard in just a few minutes. Custard powder is a blend of cornstarch, vanilla flavoring, and yellow food coloring, and it can be found in most grocery stores. In this guide, we will show you how to make custard using custard powder, so you can enjoy this creamy dish that serves as an amazing breakfast.
What is Custard Powder and it's uses
Custard powder is a product that is used to make homemade creamy and delicious custard--a sweet and comforting meal loved by people of all ages. It is a powdered mix made from cornstarch, sugar, salt, and flavorings that is usually mixed with warm milk and heated to produce a thick and smooth paste. Custard powder is an useful ingredient that can be used making so many things like cakes, pies, tarts, and trifles.
Custard powder is really handy in that it is easy to use and requires little effort to prepare. Custard powder can be quickly mixed with milk and heated in a saucepan, making it a valuable resource for busy parents. Additionally, custard powder is available in a variety of flavors, including banana, chocolate, and vanilla, giving you the opportunity to experiment with various flavors and textures in your recipes.
Custard is also a popular choice for making desserts such as cakes, pies, and puddings, and can also be used as a filling or topping for many other baked goods.
When used in baking, custard powder can add richness and depth to the texture of your cakes and pies, creating a moist and tender crumb that is sure to impress. It can also be used to thicken fruit pies, creating a deliciously creamy filling that complements the sweetness of the fruit. In puddings, custard powder can be used as a base for creamy and smooth desserts that are perfect for any occasion.
One of the benefits of using custard powder in baking is that it is a quick and easy way to add a creamy texture to your desserts. Simply mix the powder with milk and heat, then add it to your cake or pie batter, or use it as a filling for your pudding. The result is a deliciously rich and creamy dessert that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.
Custard powder is a great ingredient to have in your pantry if you want to make a classic custard meal or give your baking a creamy twist. We'll talk about how to make custard powder from scratch, give you some helpful hints for making the best custard.
- Milk: The foundation of every great bowl of custard, you can't get that creamy texture without milk, ideally you want have two cups of milk in one serving.
- White Sugar: A quarter cup of white sugar. You can substitute for honey here, if a natural feel is what you're looking for.
- Custard powder: Here's where the magic is. You want to get the portions right so it doesn't come out too thick or too runny. 3 spoons of Custard powder for one serving, the amount of custard powder needed may also vary depending on the brand, so be sure to check the instructions on the package.
- Vanilla extract: Optional, but just one tablespoonful of vanilla brings more flavours to the table.
How to make Custard
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk over medium heat. Make sure the milk starts to bubble before using it for the next steps.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar and custard powder together till you get a smooth consistency free of lumps.
- Slowly pour the hot milk into the custard powder mixture, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming.
- Gradually add the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium to low heat, ensuring to keep stirring, until the custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon or create whirls, it shouldn't be so thick that you can't move your spoon freely. Cooking the custard should take around 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and mix in the vanilla extract.
- Let the custard cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy your homemade creamy custard! You can spice things up with toppings, here's a list of toppings that goes well with custard.
Tips to making the perfect custard
Mix the custard powder with a bit of cold milk: Before adding the custard powder to the remaining hot milk, mixing the powder with a small amount of cold milk is essential. This will keep lumps from shaping in your custard and guarantee it comes out smooth.
Heat the milk gradually: It is essential to cook the milk over low heat slowly. This will help the custard thicken evenly and keep it from burning.
Keep stirring: To prevent the custard from sticking to the pan's bottom and forming lumps, constantly stir it while heating. Make sure the custard is well combined and smooth with a whisk. Let the custard cool: The custard should be chilled for at least an hour before serving after it has been cooked. The custard will thicken and become creamier as a result of this.
Toppings that go well with Custard
Here are some toppings that go well with custard:
- Fresh Fruit: For that natural fructose goodness, fruits are a definite go to on custard. They can be added on top of custard to give it a fruity flavour and a burst of colour. Great options are strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and apples.
- Whipped Cream: A dollop of whipped cream on top of custard adds a creamy texture and a touch of sweetness.
- Chocolate Sauce: Drizzling chocolate sauce over custard can give it a rich decadent flavour that does well to contrast the light creamy flavour of the custard.
- Caramel Sauce: Similarly, caramel sauce can be used to add a sweet yet slightly bitter flavour to custard.
- Crushed Biscuits: Crushed digestive biscuits, crackers, or any other biscuit you fancy can be sprinkled on top of custard it gives this crunchy texture and something to keep your mouth chewing amidst the semi-liquid dish.
- Nuts: Almonds, Hazelnuts, Pistachios, can be used to add a nutty flavour and also bring that crunchy texture to custard.
- Coconut Flakes: Sprinkling toasted coconut flakes on top of custard can give it a tropical twist and add some texture.
These are just a few suggestions, that go really well with custard but feel free to get creative and experiment with different toppings to find your perfect fit.
Making custard from custard powder is a quick and easy way to make breakfast under 15 minutes. With just a few simple steps, you can have a creamy and delicious custard ready to serve in a few minutes. Whether you enjoy it on its own or paired with your favourite toppings, custard is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth and fill you without making you feel too heavy. We hope this guide has been helpful in showing you how to make custard using custard powder, and that you will enjoy experimenting with different variations and toppings to make it your own. If you're looking for custard powder that would go well with this recipe feel free to check our store and see our list of amazing custard powder.