Efo is traditional African wild spinach and riro means “to mix’’ literally translating eforiro as “mixed spinach”. Eforiro leaves is rich in vitamins and a very common vegetable in many Nigerian homes. They are usually added to stews and soup that go well with rice or yam. It is a perfect addition to meal to boost weight lose.
Store in an airy space; or dry leaves to remove moisture and store away in your refrigerator or freezer. This will keep the leaves fresh for a few more days.
LIFE 6d+ Product life guaranteed for 6 days excluding delivery day, with an average of 10 days
Suitable for vegetarians
Recipe for riro soup
- 4 medium-size fresh tomatoes (Optional)
- 2 bunch fresh Efo leaf
- 1kg chicken ( or Assorted meat Kpomo, Shaki, smoked Turkey, or beef)
- 4-6 large size bell pepper (Tatashe)
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 ½ cup scotch bonnet pepper (Ata-rodo)
- 2 tablespoon crayfish
- Stockfish (optional)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 tablespoons Iru (Locust beans)
- Smoked fish or Panla
- 2 Knorr cubes
- Salt to taste
- First step, wash the assorted meat and kpomo, wash and debone the smoked fish.
- Secondly, pick the Efo vegetable, after that, wash and chop/slice into chunks; then blanch the Efo vegetable to get a lesser amount of liquid.
- Thirdly, rough blend the tatashe, pepper, onion, and tomatoes keep aside.
- In a clean pot, pour in the assorted meat, stockfish, and pomo, spice with salt, slice onion; and Knorr cube seasoning with little water, place on a heat and cook to soften.
- Meanwhile, if cooking Efo for vegetarians, since it is dried mushroom; soak in warm water to rehydrate the meat section will not be necessary.
- In a deep pot, heat your palm oil, sauté your onions stir fry until golden brown.
- Pour in blended tomato and pepper, allow frying, and stir occasionally so it doesn’t get brunt.
- Fry until almost dry then add in the locust beans (Iru), and smoked fish and stir together with the sauce to dry.
- Finally, add in the cooked assorted meat with the stock (meat water), crayfish, seasoning cube, and salt to taste.
- In conclusion, gentle stir in the Efo shoko leaf or spinach vegetable, turn to mix properly with other soup ingredients adjust to taste, allow to heat well before you remove from stove.
- Serve and Enjoy!
You Might Also Like