Ewedu leaf also known as jute leaf is a leafy vegetable found in tropical and subtropical areas like Africa, Asia, the Middle East and the Caribbean. Ewedu leaves is very nutritious and has many health benefits. When cooked right, it has the same varicosity as okra. In Nigeria, it commonly used to make ‘ewedu soup’ which can be served with fufu, amala or gari. Ewedu leaves are rich in vitamins, calcium and dietary fibres.
Country of Origin
Country of origin may vary.
Frozen Suitable for the microwave
Keep frozen -18°C
Recipe for Ewedu Soup
Bouillon ( or maggi/onga cubes)
Salt to taste
Iru (fermented locust beans)-optional
Using Frozen Jute Leaves
- Let the frozen leaves defrost a bit. Take it out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before. Place them in a blender, add a cup of water, and blend till smooth.
- Pour the blended jute leaves into a pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add the spices - ground crayfish, bouillon (or onga/ maggi cubes), cayenne pepper, salt and iru (fermented locust beans).
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes, and enjoy.
- Do not cook the ewedu soup for too long. Only bring it to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes.
- If your iru is frozen, soak in hot water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Traditionally, only ground crayfish is added to ewedu soup, since it is almost always paired with stew. You can use any spices of choice.
This page serves as a summary for information purposes only, and is designed to enhance your shopping experience on the website. While we have taken care in preparing this summary and believe it is accurate, it is not a substitute for your reading the product packaging and label prior to use. You should be aware that products and their ingredients are subject to change. If you do require precise ingredient information you should consult the manufacturer, whose contact details will appear on the packaging or label. Niyis Limited is therefore unable to accept liability for any incorrect information. If the description of the product on this page contains a link to another party's website for further information on the product, please note that Niyis Limited has no control over and cannot be hold responsible for the contents of that website. You should also note that the picture images show only serving suggestions of how to prepare your food - all table accessories and additional items and/or ingredients pictured with the product you are purchasing are not included. This data is supplied for personal use only. It may not be reproduced in any way whatsoever without Niyis Limited's prior consent, nor without due acknowledgement.